Gain an epic insight into Weta Workshop’s creativity for blockbuster films & hit television shows with their two incredible tours. After working up an appetite, return to the city and taste the best of Aotearoa’s cuisine at Karaka Café on the waterfront.
Here’s what you can expect:
- 45-minute Weta Cave Workshop Tour: From The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to Avatar and District 9: learn about props, costumes and creatures created for your favourite films. Interact with cool stuff from our creative departments and catch an artist at work on our tour stage.
- 45-minute Miniature Effects Tour: Discover the filmmaking technique of miniature effects and learn how they are built for hit TV and film productions. Wander through monumental miniatures from Thunderbirds Are Go and see how we fit an entire island, cityscape and mansion under one roof!
- Kai (lunch) on the waterfront: Two-course lunch with a New Zealand soft drink at Karaka Café; menu includes dishes unique to Aotearoa, New Zealand. Vegan options available!
- Guided return transfers: Journey from Wellington City to Weta Workshop in your dedicated shuttle. Your friendly driver will point out iconic landmarks during your 20min journey.
- Explore the Weta Cave retail store: A cavern of creativity in its own right! Be greeted by giant trolls on arrival, explore our mini-museum and watch a documentary on the history of Weta Workshop’s creativity.